Ernie Schroder wrote:
On Monday 17 November 2003 04:18 pm, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

Ernie Schroder wrote:

On Monday 17 November 2003 03:36 pm, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

I have a laptop running Gentoo with the newest stable ALSA
drivers. The internal speakers work fine, but when I plug in my
external speakers, I get no sound out. Yes, they're plugged in,
the volume is turned up, etc. These are analog speakers plugged
into the laptop's headphone jack.

Is there some kind of option to toggle analog ouput or something?

Are the speakers amplified? A headphone jack lacks the power to push unamplified speakers You might do better if you had a "line out" jack.

Yeah, they are. This is a Creative Inspire 5500 set. The headphone jack goes to my powered subwoofer, which in turn goes to my speakers. It works great in Windows and with OSS drivers in Debian.

Ahhh... just for fun, have you tried headphones in the jack? Chances are that the jack is muted.

Ok, no go on headphones either. So let's assume the jack is muted. How do I fix that?

-- Joel Konkle-Parker Webmaster [Ballsome.com]

Phone     [+1 662-518-1636]
E-mail    [EMAIL PROTECTED]