On Tuesday 18 November 2003 18:07, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi mathieu,
>
> Thanks for your detail advice.  I have following points expected to be
> advised.
>
> >>- snip -
> >>Kindly advise what will be the correct command line to upgrade kernel
> >>from Gentoo website to retain old kernel.  So there will be 2 kernels at
> >>boot for selection.  I use Grub.
> >
> >1. emerge the new kernel, configure and build:
> ># emerge gentoo-sources
> ># cd /usr/src
> ># rm -f linux
> ># ln -s linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r8 linux
> ># cp linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r7/.config linux
>
> Is it ".config" a hidden file under "linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r7/"

yes. it's created by make menuconfig (or config / oldconfig / config).
I've never understood why it's hidden, I would have called it kernel.config.
There is also a "live" version that you can find in /proc/config but maybe
you've got to compile something in kernel (or it's only for 2.6, I don't
remember)

> >2. optinal: if you use alsa-driver
> ># cd /lib/modules
> ># touch 2.4.20-gentoo-r7/kernel/sound
> >(should be enough to protect r7's alsa modules, but it would be better to
> >backup them)
> ># emerge alsa-driver
>
> I have not installed "alsa-driver" yet.  Gentoo 1.4 is without sound.
> At time of installing Gentoo1.4 I installed "emerge emu10k1" because the
> box has a "Creative Sound Blaster Live" sound card.  The installation
> was interrupted unexpectedly.  I posted for assistance on this List and
> I was advised that I should install "alsa-driver".  Therefore I just
> left it there incomplete.  Now at boot the OS can't detect the sound module
> I tried to find the bootlog to show it here but could not find it under
> /var/log/

follow the gentoo doc to install alsa-driver, it's easy and clear, as ever ;-)

> >4. adda menu in grub.conf to handle the new kernel: copy and paste the
> > lines for your other kernel and change whatever is needed.
>
> What shall I add to /boot/grub/grub.conf
> default 0
> timeout 30
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> title=Gentoo Linux (genkernel)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hde3 hdd=ide-scsi
> initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r7

Sorry, I'm a lilo-user. When I try to install grub, I get stuck in the
post-bios-boot-thingy (before bootloader gets loaded) with a blinking cursor
at bottom of screen.

but, I would do the following.

title=Gentoo Linux (genkernel)
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hde3 hdd=ide-scsi
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r8

or in vi
/Gentoo4yy3jpf(Cgentoo-r9<esc>2j^Aj^A:wq
;-)

--
mathieu