I would like to view your config file, if possible.

I'm trying to set twinview up to run a program (mythtv) over the TV-OUT
on my card, while maintaining my normal display.
My Card can do this (it's in the Windows-drivers), do I hope to get it
running on Linux.

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 04:43, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 07:54, Alan wrote:
> > > As far as i understand it does not run x twice, rather it runs one
> > > instance of x, with a wider screen.
> >
> > I've only run it this way (via nvidia twinview, their version of
> > xinerama)
>
> Nvidia seems to offer a best-of-both-worlds solution; using what they
> called "TwinView" I've got a 2560x 1024 desktop (across two 1280x1024
> montitors) but Nvidia implemented the Xinerama extension (NOTE! You
> don't use -xinerama on the X command line!) Xinerama information is
> available to clients (ie the window manager) that need to know.
>
> Xinerama support across the X software universe is still a bit spotty,
> but, notably, one of the major internal enhancements in GNOME 2.4 was
> much better support here; in almost all cases it "does the right thing"
> - in particular, maximize goes to a single monitor, not across the whole
> two monitor desktop, and GDM puts its login window on one monitor, not
> spread across two (and thus centered rught in the gap between two, which
> would be really annoying. Xscreensaver is notable in that any hack which
> tries to center itself looks a bit dumb as it will be centered in the
> air gap between two monitors...
>
> ... so this is all to say that having XINERAMA (and one X server) seems
> better than not, and two independent X servers (plus, presumably,
> x2x)...
>
> > , but I understand that it can be set up with a second X
> > running if it's desired.
>
> For both setups, extensive documentation is available in
> /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-1.0.XXXX/README.gz [though the "run two X
> servers" isn't recommended because then you a) don't get they're built
> in Xinerama, and, more importantly, you don't get 3D hardware accel on
> both monitors].
>
> This is all on a [in this case PNY] GForce FX5200 [PCI dual VGA] card.
> YMMV.
>
> >   No idea how to set it up though, I'm sure
> > there's info in the web forums though.
>
> I can make my XF86Config available if someone needs a specific example.
>
> Cheers,
>
> AfC

Guy Van Sanden
http://unixmafia.port5.com

Registered Linux user #249404 - September 1997