Ian Truelsen wrote:
Okay, this one is a stumper.

Whenever I try to emerge any package that tries to go through the
compile part of a build (checking for . . .) it hangs at that point. It
is not necessarily the same point, but it is always at the same stage of
the build process. Those ebuilds that do not go through this, like
man-pages, do not suffer this fate.

Here is the weird part though: after the process has hung, and very
likely the cause of the hang, my root filesystem is mounted read only. I
can't su, or run any process that needs to write to the file system. I
can't even reboot properly because it complains about not being able to
create a lockfile.

I have tried turning off ccache and distcc even going down to -O2 from
-O3 -pipe in case that was the problem but to no avail.

Anyone who can give me a hint on what to check for will earn a seat at
the head table with their favourite deity.

You could be having a kernelpanic that causes the disk to be remounted in read-only mode. Since its in readonly the logs don't show anything...

I'd search my logs for kernel-oops or other suck things that might have been written before the switch to read-only.

--
Bryan Whitehead
Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]