Eric said, "I didn't get exactly what you're trying to do. Is it just host a DNS
server as the authority for your domain? Where are your secondaries?"

I am trying to run a domain entirely from my cable modem.  I have a business-class
connection through Cox, so I'm allowed and the IP is mine to use, but they don't offer
DNS services for free.  I took this as a good opportunity to learn DNS, too.  :-)

Eric and Mike both requested this output:

> netstat -nlp | grep udp | grep 53

udp   0   0 68.15.153.133:53    0.0.0.0:*         936/dnscache
udp   0   0 68.15.153.133:53    0.0.0.0:*         932/tinydns

Three things of note here.

First, unlike the example Eric gave, I didn't need to do a ps on the pid.  It was in
the output.

Second, I'm no Doctor of Portology, but I'm guessing two services listening on the
same port is a bad thing?

Third, it says dnscache is listening.  Well, I can't find dnscache anywhere.  All I
seem to have is dnscachex, which perhaps just calls itself plain ol' "dnscache" in the
pid?

Some more output requested by Eric and Mike:

> dig 1.2.3.4 www.foobar.com a

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2rc1 <<>> 1.2.3.4 www.foobar.com a
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;1.2.3.4.                 IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       10800   IN      SOA
A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.COM. 2003111900 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 166 msec
;; SERVER: 68.10.16.30#53(68.10.16.30)
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 19 17:04:29 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 106

Note that 68.10.16.30 is my isp's dns.  I guess it found that on it's own.

If I add the @ sign to the command as you have it:

> dig @1.2.3.4 www.foobar.com a

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2rc1 <<>> @1.2.3.4 www.foobar.com a
;; global options:  printcmd

> host www.foobar.com 1.2.3.4

Eric said, "Also, knowing your actual domain name would be helpful. Then I could try
to query from here and see what the response is."

It's http://www.kungfugamers.com which I'm trying to host on 68.15.153.133.  Why
KungFuGamers?  Well, that's a bit of a longer story.  sufficed to say, I AM a geek.
:-)

Eric said, "btw, your axfrdns is not working, as is shown by the "0 seconds" uptime.
You only need axfrdns if you have secondary DNS servers using the BIND protocol to
sync with your primary, so that may not be an issue?"

I had a feeling that wasn't right.  I am not, however, running any other dns servers,
BIND or otherwise.

Mike said, "The /var vs /etc thing, that's weird. But so long as the links into
/service are right, and the ...{tinydns,dnscache(x)}/env/ROOT are correct, it doesn't
matter."

They are linked into /service, yes.

Mike said, "Dan isn't exactly forgiving with configuration errors, or helpful with
diagnosing."

Yeah, I get that.  But the app is great from what I hear...and I love QMail, so I
can't say much bad about the guy.  :-)

-Tom