Hello,

I am installing Gentoo on my AMD64 server.
I compiled the gentoo-dev-sources kernel (2.6.0test9).

On attempting to boot off the hard drive I am getting errors and it is locking up.

System:
Arima RioWorks HDAMA motherboard, 2 240 Opterons, Promise FT S150 SATA Raid (on board), 4 SATA drives, 4gb ram.

/etc/fstab
#Leaving out all the comments
/dev/sda1              /boot         ext2         noauto,noatime     1 1
/dev/sda2              /             reiserfs     noatime,defaults   0 0
/dev/sda3              /home         reiserfs     noatime            0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/cdrom    iso9660      noauto,ro          0 0
none                   /proc         proc         defaults           0 0

I have also tried:
proc     /proc    proc    defaults   0 0
on the last line as it is in my desktop fstab.
But no success with it either.

Below is my boot screen.

*Mounting proc at /proc ... OK
*Mounting sysfs at /sys ...
can't create lock file /etc/mtab~83: Read-only file system (use -n flag to override)

...and it continues OK until

*Mounting local filesystems ...

here it locks up.

The first time I tried to boot it off the hard drive it couldn't mount sysfs because of no /sys directory. One of the messages in the forum said to mkdir /sys. I did that and the error message changed but still no successful boot.

I've tried to search the forums and have not found anything to help.

I have other issues I posted to the forum.
But no replies. Is there a better mailing list for specifically Gentoo AMD64 problems? I posted this one here because I don't know it is specifically AMD64.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jimmie Houchin