I have this very weird problem, it first occured during last night, when
I was emerging world, and it reoccured during the day.

My system was logged into KDE, and I was running emerge -U world in a
root-terminal.
When I returned in the morning, my monitor was in power-save and
wouldn't wake up any more.  I logged in form another system without
problems, and top showed the process 'X' taking up 80 % CPU, no other
processes where taking up CPU-time.

I had to reboot to get back in (shutting X didn't help).
Later that day, I continued the emerge, and after a while it happened
again.

I have never encountered this problem before, and I have no idea what is
causing it (logs show nothing abnormal).

Any ideas how I can find out?

I run GDM 2.4.1.6, KDE 3.1.4 (QT 3.2.2-r1), Xfree4.3.0-r3 on
Linux **** 2.4.20-gentoo-r8 #1 Thu Oct 30 14:38:06 CET 2003 i686 AMD
Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Thanks

Guy

Guy Van Sanden
http://unixmafia.port5.com

Registered Linux user #249404 - September 1997