begin  quote
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:33:01 +0100
Azhdeen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You mean you automated the compiling of the entire tree ?
> just out of curiosity, any info on how long that regression testing
> takes ?

First build took a few day, and was aborted by several packages which
didn't complete.  I've never considered the whole tree, but started from
the GRP sets and worked from that to things I felt "sane and well". Most
of this was requests from a newly converted (from RedHat 9) Gentoo user
and her wishes. "I want this" . "Where is that?"  . "Is there an
application to do Foo?"      , And this turned out to introduce a rather
normal set of dependencies.

> does it still occur ?
It is a manual process as I have to sign and upload things. Most parts
are scripted, and it only requires a few commands, but still has to be
manually overseen as to regards to bugfixing.

Each day the whole system is wiped, and a new buildroot is grabbed from
portage, and then rebuilt. in cases where the old binaries match in
version with the new ones, they are used, in all other cases the
packages are rebuilt.

> I hope you don't torture a lonely single CPU on this ;-)
I do.

> I suppose distcc and ccache can be quite important helpers in this
> project,  right ?

Actually ccache isn't that much help, as I don't need to recompile many
packages, however ccache is quite nice, when connectivity works.
Sometimes it is in fact hindering.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!