From: "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clock drift must read, possible solution for some
folks

On Saturday 22 November 2003 08:18 pm, Nuckerl Stefan wrote:
> Hi Folks, I have seen them messages a couple of times: "strage clock
drift"
> and so on. I usually thought, that this is some setup problem or some
> hardware prob, but now I got affected and I found the sucker.
>

> I played around with kde and adjusted the clock via kde's little config
> programm kcmshell clock yesterday. Then today I realised, that my clock
was
> off by about 11 hours, I set the clock in bios to the correct time again,
> then after a boot into gentoo the clock was 11 hours off again. I did this
> about 3 times, and everytime the clock script set the time 11h back. Since
> that clock didn't have a problem for the last couple of month on this
> install I figured it had something to do with the kde proggie, so I looked
> around and checked everything manually, the setup in the config files was
> still okay, since I saw, that the clock script checks /etc/adjtime  I
> decided to delete this file and bingo that did it. So I assume, there is
> some bug in the kde prog, it somehow fucks up and then adjtime is bad.
>
> So if you come across this problem, tell those folks to delete
/etc/adjtime

> Holen Sie sich die aktuellsten Chartbreaker als polyphonen Klingelton auf
> Ihr Handy "Angel Of Berlin" - "Never Leave You" - "Ab in den Süden",
> megagünstig bei Lycos Mobile Klingeltöne und Logos -
http://mobile.lycos.de

I don't think so.  This would be bad advice.  I have this script and my
machine works fine.  It may be that you are dual booting with windows, and
have one operating system storing time as the local time, and the other
operating system storing time as GMT time and offsetting the GMT time by a
certain number of hours for display.  The other possiblity is that your time
zones between your operating systems is screwed up.  Or finally that your
adjtime script was hosed in a more unique manner as different.
--
Jim