Hi Paulo,

Am Dienstag, 25. November 2003 10:14 schrieb Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante
de Matos:
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 02:10, Leendert van den Berg wrote:
> > > Yes, all OpenGL programs run. :D
> > > I'm using a Pentium 4, indeed I have use flag for sse set but I though
> > > sse was supported in Pentium 4. Well, I'll try to unset the flag and
> > > recompile X to see if gdb runs ok this time!
> > >
> > > Is there any way to see if my processor has sse support?
> >
> > Yes, the Pentium 4 should have SSE. You can verify this by looking at the
> > flags section when you do cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
>
> So, it seems I have sse after all. :) But still, gdb doesn't run. :( Has
> anyone tried successfuly to debug the program I attached?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paulo

I tried to compile and debug the program, and all works fine here. I have a
nvidia card and use the binary drivers from them. Anyways, here is some
information from the dri-devel mailing list:

<quote>
Jacek Popawski wrote:
> Sometimes when using gdb with my program I see error:
> Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
> [Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 2340)]
> 0x405cdcfb in _mesa_test_os_sse_exception_support ()
from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/tdfx_dri.so

> This is not my program fault, because there is same message with glxgears
and
> other OpenGL applications. However I remember - sometimes I could debug
OpenGL
> program without problems!
>
> Stack:
>
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x405cdcfb in _mesa_test_os_sse_exception_support ()
>    from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/tdfx_dri.so
> #1  0x405cda4e in check_os_sse_support () at common_x86.c:190

Just continue when you hit the _mesa_test_os_sse_exception_support()
function.  It's a normal part of start-up.  We found that the only
reliable way to detect SSE support (both CPU-wias and OS-wise) is
to try an SSE instruction and see if an exception is raised.

-Brian
</quote>

HTH,
Michael