I have recently installed Oracle 9.2.0 on a current Gentoo system (I had
to use gcc-2.95 for one of the links, and two other programs (ctx/lib)
did not link .. but they are not needed).

Oracle (and other vendor software packages required that certain
turning parameters be set... as in:

        echo 100 32000 100 100 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem
        echo 100000000         > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
        echo 4096              > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni
        echo 2097152           > /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
        echo 65536             > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

Now currently have have this in my init.d/dbora script.  But this
strikes me as wrong.  What if I had another package with its own
requirements which I wanted run on the same server.

So, I look around for a "standard location or script" for setting kernel
tuning parameters during system startup, where this kind of information
should really be set.  That what one systems requirement would not
overwrite anothers.

I think we are talking about /etc/sysctl.conf.  I presume the above
values would be stored as follows in this file:

        kernel.sem = 100 32000 100 100
        kernel.shmmax = 2147483648
        kernel.shmmax = 100000000
        kernel.shmmni = 4096