I have a 8605 3ware raid which requires a different driver (3w-xxxx) than
the one in the portage tree (3w-xxxx).  I've successfully built a system
based on gs-sources but the system dies at boot while probing scsi trying
to use the incorrect (but identically named) driver.

One approach to getting a working system would be to disable scsi probing,
build and install a new driver using the system, reenable probing, and
continue.  I expect there's a kernel option to disable probes, but I have
not been able to discover what it is.  (I guess an equivalent approach
would be to simply remove the driver module.)  Anyhow, any suggestions
as to how to proceed would be appreciated.

The whole matter is complicated by the fact that I want the system to
(eventually) reside on the RAID rather than the disk I am building on.