On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Ernie Schroder wrote:

> Thanks for the help so far... the box crashed again after about 3.5
> hrs. Top and ps aux show nothing of help. Does anyone have any idea

I had an odd "freezing" problem that I am pretty sure I have figured
out...

My fstab had a wrong entry for the root partition, but the computer still
booted with the correct root file system.  This had the effect of the boot
scripts not detecting that the root file system was dirty!  Apparently, it
was checking the wrong entry which happened to be a clean file system.

Although I don't really expect this to be your problem it may be something
to look at.

John