Did you check the docs on www.alsa-project.org for your sound card and the setup there. Try using aplay with a wav file.

Did you merge alsa-oss?

Did you merge xmms-alsa and set xmms up to use it (under options). I run xmms with alsa fine here. Mplayer works, too.

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 06:35:52 -0800 (PST)
 Stephen Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
well i should have tried the aplay function before i blamed alsa :-p i
tried it on a mp3 and even tho it couldnt play it it generated static like
a telephone does showing there was data and sound. so sound works but for
some reason xmms doesnt despite a recompile nore does mplayer. why wont
they use alsa? i have -esound and alsa in my make.conf. any thoughts?
thanks your your help :)

ps just a side note but when i uncommented the # OSS SECTION in that
modules.d/alsa it generated a error loading modules, it couldnt load alsa,
nvidia or netloader? was it. anyways it was kinda wierd lol but all fixed now.

=====
::: common sense? does it come with a manual?:::