On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:30:15PM +0000, Helder Rossa wrote:
> hi,
>

> I want to clear all partitions of my HDD and then put the data of the
> partitions that I have now in those new partitions. I'm wondering if it
> is possible.
>
> basically I want to redefine my HDD partitions without re-installing all
> the stuff that I have.

Other than the suggestions elsewhere about resizing filesystems, another
thing to look at is mondoarchive, which lets you burn your system to a
CD (or 50) and restore it at a later time, but with different options.
I haven't used it much, but in theory you can use it to move from
non-raid to raid, or to lvm, or from raid0 to raid5, or to move your
partitions around, or change filesystem, or just about any change you need.
Once you boot up on the CD(s) it creates, you can edit your fstab and/or
partition set up and mondoarchive will restore the data back properly.
It seems to have an active dev team, and Hugo (project leader) is quick
to answer questions and fix bugs.  I'd suggest testing this with vmware
or something if you're going to try, just in case, but there seems to be
a pretty good response from users.  I use it to back up my server onto 3
CDs, but haven't had the "opportunity" to use it in restore mode yet
(knock on wood :)

alan

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net