Hi everyone,

I posted a message some months ago about a problem with wake on lan, but
noone knew the solution back then. So here's another shot.

I have a asus a7n8x motherboard, with integrated ethernet (nvidia
chipset...).

For Wake on Lan to work, it is required that the network interface is in
the proper power condition before the computer is turned off.

I use the pci-config tool from scyld.com. This takes care of the right
powercondition.

Ok, here follow some diagnostics:

* If the computer shuts down from windows, Wake on Lan works :-|
* If the computer is shut down from Linux with the following commands:

pci-config -#12 -S (for bringing the card in sleep condition)
sleep 10
/sbin/halt -dfi

the machine shuts down and powers up properly with WOL. Now this is not
desirable, because halt -dfi shuts down the machine immediately, without
killing jobs, or umounting disks :-(

* The goal is obviously to run pci-config just before /sbin/shutdown calls
halt. (Is done in the shutdown scripts /etc/init.d/halt.sh and
/etc/init.d/shutdown.sh)

If I put the above commands in /etc/init.d/shutdown.sh, the machine shuts
down but won't wake up again.

So, why is this sequence of commands working from the prompt (runlevel 3),
but not from the shutdown scripts???

Has anyone any clue?

Thanks,

Elton