On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:45:50AM -0600, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> Quoting David Gethings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 14:44, Spider wrote:
> > > Well, if that's the case, may I suggest "flac" ? ( emerge flac ).
> > OMG! Why have I not heard of this codec before! This is exactly what
> > I've been looking for!
> >
> > Thanks Spider! Now I have to re-rip my CD collection. ;)
>
> In case you're wondering, you have to specify the --ogg option to make it
> completely Ogg-compatible. Here's my flac line:
>
> $ flac -V --ogg -8 -o something.flac something.wav
>
> -V verifies the conversion
> -8 gives maximum (lossless) compression
> -o names the output file

When you say "ogg-compatible" do you mean that it'll be identified as an
ogg file by anything that plays ogg (the docs and FAQ aren't completely
clear on this). IE: I can have completely lossless compression and have
it appear to be an ogg file?  Or am I missing something....

> Also, the Rio Karma
> <http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=220&cat=53>
> has FLAC and Ogg Vorbis support.

I saw this recently and have been lusting after it since then :)  I just
wish they were actually in the stores around me, as for something like
this I really want to hold it in my hand and know that it *feels* right
before I drop big $$ on it.  Either that or the Cali[1] (for going to the
gym).  It doesn't have ogg or the huge hd, but is expandable up to 768mb
and has an fm tuner, is solid state (not as many worries about dropping
it) and is tiny.

[1] http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=214&cat=54

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net