To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 7:14 PM
Subject: [gentoo-user] rsync port - firewall config

I've setup a firewall with Guarddog, which I use because it is
relatively simple but seems to be comprehensive.  However, it does not
have rsync in its protocol list.  I've tried to make a user-defined
protocol for port 873 (which is the rsync port I believe), but it
doesn't seem to work.  I cannot use rsync unless I temporarily
deactivate the firewall.  As you know, allowing rsync is necessary to do
an 'emerge sync'!

I'm wondering if anyone else uses Guarddog and has come up with a
solution.  If not, I will entertain simple iptable snippets that I can
manually enter into the Guarddog generated /etc/rc.firewall.

Thanks,
Jonathan