Jan Drugowitsch wrote:

> hi,
>
> Somehow, vim doesn't case about the set tabespace in the ~/.vimrc
> file. Although I've a clear 'set ts=4' in there, it always starts
> of with a tabspace size of 8. Only after setting it to 4 with ':set
> ts=4' it works. The spacewidth is set to 4 and works immediately.
>
> I'm using gentoo with vim 6.2
>
> Any idea what could be wrong there?
>
> Jan

Are you certain that you aren't accidently using Vi instead of Vim? If
you merge Vi before you merge Vim, then typing Vi at the command line
will get you Vi (whereas if you never merge Vi, and only merge Vim, Vi
is a symlink to Vim).

I did that for a looong time by mistake... never even really realize
it, either, 'till I had this same problem. ;) (I always type 'vi'
instead of 'vim,' just because I'm used to it.)