Hi John,

* John Goerzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Friday, December 5, 2003, 5:24:43 PM:

> 2. I'm a little confused about the nature of a released distribution
> and supported architectures.

> My main reason for interest in Gentoo is to run it on my Alpha --
> these machines benefit more significantly from optimizations than
> PCs tend to. Some of the online docs say that Alpha is a "supported"
> architecture; yet the only installation CDs for them are in
> "experimental". That gives me pause when considering using Gentoo on
> Alpha for critical work. Is that pause justified?
I wouldn't think so, but that depends on view of "critical".

> Similarly, does one generally track the "stable" distribution by
> setting ARCH="x86" instead of ARCH="~x86"? If so, are security
> updates pushed to the stable distribution as well? I observed that,
> following the manual for building my kernel, gentoo-sources fetched
> a fairly old (2.4.20) kernel -- one that may have several security
> holes (though there were so many patches to it, it was hard to
> evaluate).
gentoo-sources (when you fetch it now) has many patches, including the
one 2.4.23 got first for the hole that was used to root the debian boxes.
If you look at security (and you should!) subscribe to
gentoo-announce, you'll read there which holes are out and what to do
to fix them.

> 3. How do I enable kdm?

> I emerge'd kde, but found no /etc/init.d/ script for kdm to use with
> rc-update.

Have a look at the bottom end of /etc/rc.conf
# What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm | elogin | entrance ]
#DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"

> 5. As I work more on the system, I get more and more errors like the
> following from emerge:

>  * Caching service dependencies...                                [ ok ]
> !!! Invalid db entry:
try a
  mv /var/cache/edb/dep /var/cache/edb/dep.orig && emerge regen
that will regenerate you dependency cache. (it'll take some time,
though)

 Timo