I have a 100/10 Mbps home LAN whose performance is considerably less
than capable.  The setup is as follows:

        - OpenBSD server with two PCI NICs (a D-Link and a Linksys).
          One NIC connects to the Internet, the other connects to the
          LAN.  (This machine provides the firewall/gateway/NAT
          functions.)
        - A Linksys "Etherfast Dual-Speed 5-Port Workgroup Switch"
        - My Linux workstation.  It's using an onboard 3Com 3c59x NIC
          (Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard)
        - My roomate's Win2k box.  Also has a Linksys 100/10 PCI NIC.

The best LAN transfer speeds I can get are around 230 KB/s.  This is
between Linux and OpenBSD as well as Win2k and OpenBSD.  Interestingly,
between Linux and Win2k, the speed is about half that: 130 KB/s.

The Linux NIC & driver appears to be functioning correctly; I checked
its operation with mii-diag and vortex-diag [1].  I'm not aware of
OpenBSD NIC diagnostic tools, so I don't know how to check those NICs as
extensively.  But all three NICs (two in BSD + one in Linux) are
operating in full-duplex 100baseTX mode.

All my cables are CAT5e UTP.  Just to be sure, I bought new cables.
Transfer speeds did not improve.

I tried using a cross-over cable between OpenBSD and Linux.  No
improvement.

I also tried switching the roles of the BSD NICs (i.e. Internet NIC
became DSL NIC and vice-versa).  No change in transfer speeds.

Short of phsically moving NICs around, I'm not sure how to futher
diagnose the problem.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, hints, suggestions, etc?

Thanks,
Matt

[1] http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html

--