Not exactly true, USE flags set the compile time options for a lot of
packages. in some cases this is to disable some options, for example,
-arts to disable arts support in XMMS, it can also be used to ADD
functions at compile time. ie. USE='mysql' when compiling qmail may
enable certain mysql options in the program.

So, the -arts option removes arts support from packages that have arts
as an "optional" component. If the arts support is required and not
optional for a package then it will remain in the dependancy tree and
get installed.

--
Brock Campbell
-- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --