Ernie Schroder wrote:
On Saturday 06 December 2003 10:09 pm, Ernie Schroder wrote:

         Hmmmm, I might be making progress on my random crashes. I asked
earlier about doing emerge -e kde and was thinking about going a
head with that but kdelibs was blocking glibc. I was still in the
mood to give it a go so I did
# emerge -C kdelibs
This, of course rendered kde useless. Rather than go the whole
rebuild route I then rebuilt kdelibs. I restarted kde about 10
hours ago and so far so good.
        My major problem now is that it seems the only way I can start kde
since installing windowmaker it to start kdm as root and log in to
a kde session from there. Can I simply rename or move my ~/.xinitrc
and then $ $ startx
to start kde?
startkde returns DISPLAY errors

OK, I figured out that if I edit ~/.xinitrc and comment
exec wmaker
and add the line
exec startkde
$ startx
starts kde
I probably should have actually read the .xinitrc file before asking stupid questions

Have you tried modifying the XSESSION variable in /etc/rc.conf?

--
Andrew Gaffney