I recently built a kernel from gentoo-sources-2.4.22-r1.

basically the new kernel works quite well. all apps like evolution,
nautilus... have a slight speed increase and seem to react more directly
to user input. however, I can't play back mp3 using mpg321 or rhythmbox
while doing other things in background. whenever I fire up some bigger
program (e.g. evolution), do something with an already running app or
shut down some program there's some noticable crackling in audio
playback, sometimes audio output is silent for a second. using the stock
linux kernel (vanilla-sources-2.4.22) this didn't happen. if I choose
some song in rhythmbox it also takes longer to load as before.

I tried using esd and directly play audio, no difference. I'm using the
ALSA i8x0 driver for my on-board soundchip.

has this somehow to do with why gentoo-sources-2.4.22-r1 are masked? if
not, what else could cause this behaviour?

thanks in advance for any answers,
        David