On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:49:19 +0100
Thomas Preissler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I am looking for an MTA with the following special features. The
> most important thing is that it is easy configurable, i.e. I do not
> really want hacking sendmail.cf style.
>
> 1) No local masquerading
> Local mails in the local domain must not be rewritten with my
> account ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). The From-address must be untouched. I had
> this feature already in the past with sendmail. But in newer
> versions the sendmail.cf and the masquerading-feature changed a bit
> and so it is not working again. And I am not the crazy guy, who
> dreams all night from sendmail.cf.
>
> 2) Per-user SMARTHOST and masquerading configuration
> I want to use a per-user SMARTHOST configuration. User tomtom sends
> via gmx.de and with masqueraded "From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]" to the
> outside world. Another user uses another account.
>
> 3) To-dependent SMARTHOST and masquerading configuration
> Is it possible, that the configuration as mentioned in 2) is
> To-dependent? So, when I write to mailinglist A, config (SMARTHOST
> and From) A is used, another one, when sending to mailinglist B?
>
> Since the time installed linux I am used sendmail. A few weeks ago,
> I tested postfix, but - erm - my features can't be practiced.
> (Another issue on postfix: postfix can definitely handle mails to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] grr).
>
> I thought installing qmail, but - my first thought: is it worth the
> time?
>
> So, what are your impressions about existing mta's? Is there a
> mta, which fulfills all my needs above?

Take a look at exim, I like it very much, and it's _highly_ configurable. I'm
pretty sure you can do all of the things you want with exim, but it will be no
piece of cake. Download the very good docs from www.exim.org and _read_ them - I
can assure you, it's worth the time. You will (because of your extraordinary
wishes) have to read extensive docs for _any_ MTA you choose.

HTH, Dennis

--
Dennis Freise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GnuPG key fingerprint: 2DE8 CCEF 6E20 11D4 3B27  21EC B0BA 1749 D2C8 38ED