On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 13:35, Joshua Banks wrote:
> Reposting in the hopes that I get a bite. I've researched this but
> don't seem to find anything significant that helps answer my 2
> questions.
>
> JBanks
>
> --- Joshua Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just added another nic card and statically assigned the address
> > and used "rc-update add net.eth1 default" and added the eth1
> > interface/address info in /etc/conf.d/net. This works fine right now
> > with a static address.
> >
> > 2 questions:
> >
> > 1) Eth1 will be connected to a cable modem and will need to be using
> > dhcp to get its interface/gateway info. So do I just simply edit the
> > /etc/conf.d/net settings when the time comes to change from static to
> > dhcp and the eth1 interface will automatically revert to using dhcp
> > settings or do I need to do something otherwise?

Just change it in /etc/conf.d/net like you mentioned. That is all that
is needed.

> > 2) Having added eth1 to the "default run-level" via "rc-update", will
> > switching the interface to dhcp (versus it being statically addressed
> > now) have an effect or not? If so, what (if simple) do I need to do?

Correct. If you make the change in /etc/conf.d/net it will work as you
expect. The file /etc/conf.d/net is nothing more then a place holder for
numeric ip values. Adding it via 'rc-update add net.eth1 default' only
told gentoo to start that device at boot time, the config is where the
acual values come from.

All in all you were on the right path to begin with.

Jayson Garrell