On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 09:32:00PM +0200, Ciortea Cristian wrote:

> On Friday 12 December 2003 21:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 07:38:24PM +0100, SN wrote:
> > > did anyone manage to get framebuffer going with
> > > the latest 2.6 kernel?
> >
> > I can use vesa frame bufer with my GeForce2 MX 400
> > card without problems.
> >
> > I really would like to have the rivafb driver
> > working, but I can not. It does start at
> > boot time. but I cannot set the resolution to
> > what I would like: it always start at a low
> > resolution (it gives something like 25 lines x
> > 80 columns), independently of what I set as
> > the video mode in the kernel command line.
> > Has anybody had success with the riva driver?
>
> Do you have a RIVA card ?!

No, I do not have a RIVA card. But that is not
relevant, as the rivafb module does support
not only riva cards, but other NVidia based
cards as well, like my GeForce2 MX 400. The
kernel 2.4.2? version of this drive works well
with my video card, and I use it when
booting with that kernel.

Take a look at the file drivers/nv/nv_type.h
in the kernel source distribution and you will
see a list of chipsets from NVidia which
(I believe) is supported.

> Why do you want this driver so bad?

The performance of video operations, like
scrolling. The screen really scrolls much
faster with the riva frame buffer than
with the vesa frame buffer.

Romildo