Dennis Freise wrote:

# emerge shorewall

Setting up masquerading is a piece of a cake with shorewall. And you definitly
_want_ a firewall sooner or later, so go grab it, don't mess with iptables
itself (you can, but why, if there are easier solutions...) and get it running.

You still may want to learn more about NAT, MASQ and CONNTRACK though, to
understand why you need MASQ. You don't have to understand how it is done in
the kernel, but you have to understand what it is and why you need it.
'man iptables' might help there...

I'll prefer an easy-to-use firewall, and i heard from many people that shorewall shall be a real good choice. I will no doubt give it a try, but: will shorewall solve my 'i can't ping to the internet' problem ?

As long i can't use the internet, I'm still one step away from thinking
about firewalls..