Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I did something extremely stupid I
think. Every time I re-compiled my kernel I would copy it to /boot without
mounting it to /dev/hda1 first. Things seem to be running much smoother now
that I have the right kernel on /dev/hda1. I can guarantee that this will
never happen again. :)

Thanks for all the help and I apologize if I wasted your time here.

Sterling.