Hello all;

I am a freelance journalist and long-time user of Linux and other UNIX
derivatives.

Currently, I am developing a piece on hackers;  moreover, I am attempting to
<correctly>  define that misnomer.  It seems that a society afraid has
incorrectly placed the libel upon a group of people that others cannot
understand, or simply choose otherwise.  I know of many 'hackers' that prefer
themselves 'crackers', leaving the hacking to those who initially code the
software that crackers try to break.

The existence of the misnomer, however, does provide for an interesting
paradox in terms:  despite their intrinsic differences, hackers and crackers
are indeed one in the same, for both are fascinated with the rules of a
system and with the attempt to make or break their respective equilibria.

Perhaps, then, the art of hacking is not solely about the Alpha and Omega of a
Digital Creation, but refers rather to the mentality of such an Omnipotent.
Hacking is about knowing the rules, and using those rules to reach an
objective.  It is as though one is bound in chains, unable to move and avoid
certain doom.  To survive, the prisoner must pick his proverbial lock, rid
himself of the chains, and wield those chains as weapons.  Often, our
instruments of restraint serve to free us from captors.

From the Linux community, I am searching for quotes to support my thesis.  The
essay is intended for an audience that is not technically inclined;  after
all, it is an uneducated society that prompted this attempt.  The piece will
take the flavor of the typical compare/contrast often felt in High School
writings, but with an atypical, often transcendental tone.

Please address all responses directly to me, or carbon copy them to myself in
addition to this mailing list.

In advance, I thank you for your time, consideration, and aid.

Kris Kerwin