On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:10:36 -0800
Keith Dart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I find it interesting that logrotate is not included in the basic gentoo
> > install (at least at 1.3 I did not get it).  Seems like a must have to
> > me!
>
> I think logrotate is a Red Hat thing. However, you can choose to install
> metalog which does log rotation all on its own.

logrotate originates from Red Hat, but many distros these days have it. I don't
think it's mandatory, because you don't have to log anything at all (well, maybe
that's not what we want *g*). Typing "emerge logrotate" doesn't seem to much
work for me. metalog does a good job at rotating, but not all programs log via
syslog (exim for example does its own logging, squid, apache...). I have
metalog and logrotate installed.

--
Dennis Freise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GnuPG key fingerprint: 2DE8 CCEF 6E20 11D4 3B27  21EC B0BA 1749 D2C8 38ED