AFAIK it's a bug somewhere in USB SW and have a feeling
it was discussed couple times.

I met similar problem too ...
my digi (photo) camera is accessible as device sda1, but
once it happend, I had to read two different (by size) SM cards.

First card was sda1, the second was "broken" until I learned
from syslog it was connected as sdb1 ... although I had to
disconect the camera, switch it off and change the card between
readings.
Removing and reinserting all related modules helps in case
I like to have it sda1.

noro

Alexander Puchmayr wrote:

Hi there!

When I connect an external harddisk/cdrom/memory-stick via USB, a new scsi device appears, lets say /dev/sda, partition information is read correctly and I can mount and use partitions without any problem.

After unmounting all mounted partitions of the drive and disconnecting it, the device /dev/sda is still there, of course giving me i/o-Errors when accessing it.

Even after connecting a different disk, /proc/scsi/scsi still holds information about the old disk, no new disk. Accessing the new disk is not possible, I have to restart the hotplug to make it work.

So, question is, is there anything I can do against it or is it just a nasty bug in hotplug/usb?
BTW: I just upgraded to hotplug-20030805-r2 and restartet the service.

Thanks,
        Alex