Instead of installing over the top of your current tree, move it out of
the way first

check that portage related files in /etc are ok (make.conf, esp
make.profile symlink, ...)

Use root, and not the portage user if you are doing that

once your at this level, it gets down to checking basics like firewalls
(it seems to be a connection error) etc.  Can you manually use rsync to
retrieve something from one of the servers? - pick a file in portage,
delete/move it and then manually fetch it.

BillK