Hi all,

I am running gentoo of a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. I am currently using the
most recent gentoo-dev-sources kernel (linux-2.6.0-gentoo). The laptop has a
32MB Radeon graphics card and I have set it up so that it using direct
rendering and everything works fine except that I cannot shut kde down.
Everytime I got to reboot, logoff, or shutdown the computer crashes before
entering the shutdown sequence - the screen just goes blank. If I turn off
drm in the XF86Config file then there is no problem - but i would like drm. I
am using a XF86Config generated by xf86config and slightly modified (load drm
- etc). I have not used the ati drivers that one can emerge from gentoo. I
have just used the support for radeon cards available in the kernel. (I tried
to follow the instructions on
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=105354&highlight=direct+rendering+2+6
but I could not get the Xserver to work at all). I have tried compiling drm
support from the 2.6 kernel both as modules and as part of the kernel - I
have also upgraded to the most recent release of the gentoo-dev-sources and
none of this has made a difference - direct rendering works fine but I can't
shutdown.

Occasionally when kde crashes on shutdown it completely destroys my XF86Config
file and I have to build a new one - it has also lost my imap mail account
and my filters - it has lost my recent programms list - and it has destroyed
kmix (now I only get an empty window where the mixer used to be - I have even
recompiled kdemultimedia and kmix is still broken).

Any advice on what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Chris