Ok so it's really only a singluar package right now but I'll be adding more when I have time to create Gentoo packages.

At http://Sandy.McArthur.org/code/zeroconf/ I've put up some information on how to enable your Gentoo system to support some Zeroconf features via the Howl Zeroconf implementation.

Right now I've only made my patches to daapd available. Daapd is a server for Digital Audio Access Protocol, aka: DAAP, which is what iTunes uses to share music. Those of you with a Tivo could take advantage of this too I think.

I currently have a buggy version of xinetd which talks to the Howl mDNSResponder daemon. Xinetd is currerntly used on Mac OS X and supports Apple's Zeroconf implementation which is branded "Rendezvous".

Once I have time to clean up my hacking I'll post a package for my xinetd.

I also have plans to Howl enabled Apple version of distcc which supports automatic discovery of compatiable distcc servers on your local network. This recently only became possible with Howl 0.9 which was release last night. Previous versions of Howl were lacking proper DNS-SD TXT support.

If anyone is intersted or wishes to help out with my Zeroconf efforts feel free to contact me privatly at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you want to discuss this publicly the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list is very quite and somewhat relevant to the topic at hand. Personally I don't want to have track threads all over the place. See http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml for info on that list.

Sandy McArthur