This is a periodic problem I'm having, I haven't been able to pin point
what is causing the problem.

Some time after logging in (a few days, a few minutes .... periodically)
when i attempt to 'su' the login hangs after I enter my password.
(YES I am in the wheel group!)
(then a timeout message is displayed, This usually occurs in a
xterm/Konsole)

I then Alt-Ctrl-F1 and attempt to login to a text console as a normal
user, but the same problem occurs.

I can't ssh\telnet\ftp in, it hangs at the password.
I can  open xterms\konsoles though but only as the user logged into X.

I've seen two causes on the net: (I don't use either)
  1. Metalog w/ output to /dev/console(I used this but its disabled now)
  2. A bad version of pam-login (i think 3.12, and i use 3.14)

My only recourse thus far is when this occurs reboot, and all is well
for a while!

Does anyone have any idea's how to trace this problem.
I'm using metalog (no relevant information there), which is very
annoying as I can't be sure when the current logs will be dumped to file
... I think that my first step in tracing this is to upgrade to a better
logger.

Any help would be appreciated