I used to run my system from a 120 GB drive.  The drive is partitioned
as follows:

partition   size  type        filesystem
---------   ----  ----        ----------
/dev/hda1    16M  primary     ext2
/dev/hda2   3.7G  primary     ext3
/dev/hda3   1.5G  primary     Linux swap
/dev/hda4         (extended)
/dev/hda5   3.7G  logical     ext3
/dev/hda6   3.7G  logical     ext3
/dev/hda7    15G  logical     ext3
/dev/hda8    28G  logical     ext3
/dev/hda9    28G  logical     ext3
/dev/hda10   28G  logical     ext3

Now I no longer need partitions 1 through 7.  I'd like to roll them up
into one partition, or even better, add them to partition 7 (so I'd have
four, roughtly equally-sized partitions).  That in mind, I do NOT want
to lose the data on partitions 8, 9, and 10.

Will the available partioning tools (e.g. GNU parted) allow me to do
this safely?  If so, would it take a long time?  I have another 120 GB
drive in a second computer; I could just use rsync to make a backup of
everything, then go to work with fdisk if that would be safer and/or
faster.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Matt

--