> > I, too, have a general aversion to RPM, but the modern distros like SUSE
> > and Red Hat do a fine job of doing dependancy checking (a la portage)
and
> > relieving the less savy user from the intricacies of RPM.  The one thing
> > they don't have is the tremendously broad availability of standard
> > packages (a la
> > portage).  Hunting down a suitable RPM package is now the worst aspect
of
> > an

I don't think so, look at mandrake cooker and you will notice, that they
have at least as many apps in rpm form as gentoo ebuilds.
I have never counted them, but I thought they even have more rpms for apps
than gentoo, at least I have seen rpms there for apps that gentoo still
doesn't have.
So that doesn't count.

I have used rpm distros for years, but portage was not the reason for me to
switch to gentoo.
Mandrake for example has an extraordinary rpm system "urpmi" with some
scripting skills you can even use it to download srpms and compile
everything from source, it is better that apt-get. But most people think rpm
can't do much more than install and deinstall packages.