Folks,

Happy festive stuff. I hope you have all sated much consumerist avarice and enjoyed gouts of inebriated hedonism at this time of religious & spiritual neglect.

I'm hoping that someone can advise me about local mail delivery. At present any messages produced by my cron jobs are emailed, using ssmtp, to my POP3 mailbox at my ISP, from where I retrieve them using the usual sorts of methods, however a recent ADSL outage has made me realise that it's more desirable for messages to be plonked straight into users' local maildir directories, rather than having the overhead of uploading & downloading again.

However, ssmtp doesn't seem to be the way to do this, its manpage says "it especially does not deliver to pipelines". When mail is collected by fetchmail I use mailfilter to sort it, but if I run `/usr/bin/maildrop -d stroller` then I find the body of the message is delivered without any headers.

I'd rather not have sendmail sitting listening on an open port, as I recall happening on a comment during some of my earliest Unix reading on Usenet that it's easy to configure sendmail as an open-relay; I know that this was in the days when SGI shipped Irix with sendmail enabled out-of-the-box, and that it would probably be straightforward for me to secure it, however it just seems inelegant to have a daemon running & a port open when this probably could be handled with a pipe. Ideally I don't want to use postfix, as I understand that to replicate the functionality for which I'm presently using mailfilter.

Is there a sendmail replacement which does what I require, please..?

Stroller.