On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 15:24, Reinhard Brandstädter wrote:
> Guy Van Sanden wrote:
>
> > I was wondering what this message in the logs meant:
> > dhcpcd[162]: broadcasting second DHCP_DISCOVER
>

> from the dhcpcd man page:
>
> -S  Forces dhcpcd to send second DHCP_DISCOVER  message  even  after
>      receiving  DHCP_OFFER on the first one. Some DHCP servers expect
>      the client to send second DHCP_DISCOVER message before  replying
>      on DHCP_REQUEST.
>
> So I guess you've started your dhcpcd with option -S, or maybe sending a
> second DISCOVER message is the default behavior.

Sending the second DISCOVER is default behaviour for dhcpcd, I don't
know why.
The -S option forces another DISCOVER after OFFER, I don't have that
option set.

> > This is an entire log snippet of a failed connection, if you know what
> > it going wrong...
> > ---
> > Dec 28 09:36:14 centurion dhcpcd[162]: sending DHCP_REQUEST for
> > 81.83.123.215 to 195.130.132.97
> > Dec 28 10:18:26 centurion dhcpcd[162]: broadcasting DHCP_REQUEST for
> > 81.83.123.215
> > Dec 28 10:18:26 centurion dhcpcd[162]: DHCP_NAK server response received
> > Dec 28 10:18:26 centurion dhcpcd[162]: broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER
> > Dec 28 10:18:27 centurion dhcpcd[162]: broadcasting second DHCP_DISCOVER
> > Dec 28 10:18:27 centurion dhcpcd[162]: DHCP_OFFER received from
> > (195.130.132.97)
> > Dec 28 10:18:27 centurion dhcpcd[162]: broadcasting DHCP_REQUEST for
> > 81.83.123.215
> > Dec 28 10:18:28 centurion dhcpcd[162]: DHCP_ACK received from
> > (195.130.132.97)
>
> Looks pretty normal to me. What is not working?
> Have you tried to enforce a DHCP_RELEASE with dhcpcd-bin -k <interf>?

The DHCP server does not respond to a renewal request, and sends a NAK
later on, but offering the same address later.
The whole thing causes a connection break off a second, but that is
enough to pull Snort down...

It turns out now that my ISP has problems with its DHCP servers, another
server is sending the NAK then the one where I obtained the address.
They're looking in to it, but the don't seem to understand anything
about the problem... :-(

> Reinhard

Guy Van Sanden
http://unixmafia.port5.com

Registered Linux user #249404 - September 1997