On Tuesday 30 December 2003 03:21 am, Cybercar wrote:
> First 4 years ago y tried Mandrake, then I beeing using Debian
> with the great apt , but before I didn't taste gentoo I don't
> really know the performance which it gives me.
> Before I haven't compiled all the system in gentoo i never been
> so happy than now :)
> Gentoo & emerge PoWa!!
>
> Thanks all of you to make this grow day by day.

Yeah, I started with Mandrake 7.2.  Well, actually I installed
several distros for about a year, little less, before that, but
always went on back to windows.   But mandrake was easy enough for
a tickerer like me, even tho that was still 2.2 kernel and not much
was autodetected.  I'm glad I stayed when I did cuz mandrake
started doing everything for the user starting at about 8.2 or so.
On a fresh install now, the user has to configure very little.  But
I'm a commandline junkie.  I never used mandrakes utilities to
configure stuff past the install, mainly cuz they didn't work when
I started using it, <teehee>, and I use bash for my filemanager,
that kinda thing.  So, I am sorta a little accomplished.  Not guru,
but comfortable with any linux distro except debian (didn't like it
much).

I tried about every other major distro out there, but mandrake
(cooker to be more precise) was my main os.  I loved it dearly.
Until this year.  Thing started changing.  But it was still my main
os and I still liked it.  But then one weekend in mid-November my
suse ftp install failed.  So, I don't know, I think someone
mentioned gentoo on http://www.pclinuxonline.com  I tried debian
too right before, but on someone recommendation I thought I"d try
gentoo.   Oh, I remember better now, in addition, it came with my
october or november linux format magazine dvd.  My last issue cuz
my subscription ran out.  How that for luck?  If it had run out a
month earlier, or they had included it a month later, I'd still be
growing more dissatified with mandrake.  (which is another long
story I spare yaw of).

Now I tried LFS and sorceror before and got tired of messing with
them before I got them on.  But I started gentoos install from
stage 1 cuz that's what was on that linux format dvd.  I had hoped
it would be complete with the packages, but ended up downloading
them.

But anyway I tried to read the docs on the site before I started and
got the blahs.  See, I'm one of those rtfm if I /have/ too kinda
people.  But I wanted to do this right, so I tried to read the docs
first.  But said fsck it and booted the cd thinking there might be
an installer or soemthign.  But instead were some directions for
installing gentoo.  I followed them and had to change some stuff
cuz either the procedure had changed or my disk was different.  I
didn't know enough about what I was doing to remember now.  But I
just bascially followed the directions on the cd and it took 3 days
before I could boot.  Then it took another couple or three days
before I could start x.

But it was easy.  It booted right up the first try and x started the
first time.   That's how it's been for me.  I had a few problems at
first, user error mostly, like I couldn't get the timezone right.
Turned out to be I hadn't build rtc in the kernel.  :P  Couldn't su
to root cuz I wasn't in wheel group.  OO.org wouldn't build cuz
there wasn't enough room on that partition.  But overall it's been
painless.  And if I want to install soemthing it builds, install
and works.  Even if it's a tarball I've downloaded.  Portage has
failed on just a couple packages, openmotiff I think was one, but
can't remember the other one or two.  Nothing too important to me.
My sensors worked and my xawtv and volume plugin.  Most important
to me, that I can't get to work in slackware.  And the startup
process and loading modules stuff was a little different in gentoo
but not to hard to figure out.  I use dsl through a router most of
the time, but occasionally need to dial up.  No go with slackware,
pppd dies.  I used to love slackware in it's 8.x days, but since it
went 9.x I can't get it to do shit.  But kppp dials up from gentoo
with no problems.  Everything works. Mplayer for those asf and wma
files.  cdrecord for burning, well not really surprized there.  But
everything works except posting to the gentoo newsgroup.  :P (which
I could use some help there!)  Been reading this list since mid
november and the newsgroup since about then.  The community is real
nice which is something I was afraid I'm miss from mandrake.  I
posted about one problem and had several list suggestions how to
overcome it right away.   I really enjoy the forum, where I jump in
and show my ignorance too often.  Nice folks, great off-topics.  :)

All that to say I love gentoo too, cuz it works.  :D

Sorry it got so long.  :D   But just got some good news about a
friend and am all wound up besides loving to tell the story of how
gentoo stole my heart away from my long time love mandrake.

I've heard it stole another once die-hard mandrake user too.  Yama
from http://www.pclinuxonline.com  He used to be quite active on
the mandrake mailing list.  I wonder if he subscribes to this
gentoo list? The name he used to post on the mandrake mailing lists
was Sridhar Dhanapalan.  I know he's around somewhere, maybe using
a different nick.  He was quite the guru and seemed happy to help.
Anyone know who I'm talking about?

Ok, I'll shut up now.  Thanks for being part of gentoo and making me
feel welcome.  Thanks if you actually read this.  I don't usually
read long posts myself, so I appreciate it if you read my
story.  :)  Have a nice day.

Oh, and Happy New Year.  Tomorrow's my birthday. :P

thanks,
-susan