If this is for your home network, which is behind a firewall (if it's
not behind a firewall, you have other things to worry about before CAS),
is high security really a concern?  I would recomend NIS or NIS+.  NIS is
much easier to setup but NIS+ supports password encryption.

They're both industry standards so the knowledge you gain will help you in
the real world.

--
Kevin Reichhart
CCNA, CCSA NG