Norbert Kamenicky wrote:

AFAIK there is no possibility to disable /dev/null to work in .config, therefore I think your kernel failed to mount /dev filesystem ...

Have you got /dev directory ?
What about other devices ? (e.g. /dev/hda1)

noro

Noro,

Thank you very much for responding. I was just considering wiping all the drives and starting all over again... but it seems like there must be a (fairly) easy solution to this.

I wasn't thinking I had disabled /dev/null in the kernel (.config is the kernel config file, right?). I'm thinking that devfs is screwed up somehow. I put tests in the rc script and found that /dev/null exists before the mount devfs command, but does not exist afterwards. Once the boot aborts, the system lets me log into a maintenance console. From there I find that I do have a /dev directory, but the only thing in it is .devfsd and initctl. Somehow, mounting devfs on /dev is wiping everything out.

I suppose that this isn't too hard to believe... if I understand correctly, devfs is just a script that translates the regular /dev listings into devfs style listings. But, in my case, something is broken, so mounting devfs on /dev wipes out everything that was there but doesn't replace it with the new devfs listings.

I feel like I'm really close, but I'm missing that last little bit. Any ideas?? Anyone???

thnks,