On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 02:29, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
> lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > [snip]
>
> > What about the underlying partition, how do i resize it without killing the data
> > on it?
>
> You should resize the filesystem first, then change the partition using
> fdisk by first deleting it and then recreating it.  You have to be very
> careful when doing this though.

Unless you are _REAL_ careful, you could be starting over.  Best to make
a backup, first, to another file system.  Then you can boot with that
filesystem as root, and resize the first...  Of course, if the reason
you are doing this is you are so strapped for space, that you cannot
find room for a root file system, then I would strongly suggest that you
should spend the $$ on another disk... and when you rearrange things,
always allocate two partitions for root: one which you use, and one
which you save as backup.  That way, you always have the space to do
something like this.  80GB ide drives are about $80.  (US).

Lincoln