For the scanner - check and see if sane supports it. If so emerge sane-backend and then set up the /etc/sane.d conf file.

As for the other - what is the program name. You might check the portage directory and see if there is a newer ebuild that is masked.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Right. I'm impressed with Gentoo's speed, outperforms mandrake 9.2 in an iincredible way; after having solved a few problems (gnome took forever to log out for instance, until I added a host.conf file in /etc with
order hosts, bind in it ... now why was that file missing ?).

I havee just two minor points to solve which really put me off:

- my primax colorado d 300 parallel port scanner; mandrake's sane-backends
include support for this (but I had it working on all distro's tried so
far, from debian to slackware) gentoo apparently does not.  What would the
best way of solving this be ? I could just build the standalone program
and put it in /usr/local/bin of course, but it would be handier to have
the scanner work under sane.  I don't have the faintest idea of how I
could achieve that ( I don't like the idea of changing system sane by hand
because at the first emerge update everything would get wiped out - or
make a new sane-backend ebuild ?? don't think I have the time and
knowledge as I really am not into the deep workings of sane at all and I
know nothing about emerge);

- R. Now really ! Gentoo is supposed to be the bleeding edge ... and the
stable R emerge is 1.6.1 which is over a year old, current stable version
of the program is 1.8.1 ... again, I could just build R in /usr/local of
course ... but the gentoo way would be nicer. In the R rpm's for Mandrake
in CRAN ( R comprehensive archive network) almost nothing has changed in the spec file from 1.6.1 to 1.8.1 ... shouldn't it be easy to do the same for Gentoo ?

Anyway any suggestions are welcome !