On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 18:23, Ian Truelsen wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:07:38 +0000 (UTC)
> Eamon Caddigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Norberto Bensa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > XMMS must die. It's ugly. Hard to use.
> >
> > "Stop using a WinAmp clone."
> >
> > > If you're using KDE take a look at JuK. Or Rhythmbox if you're on
> > > Gnome.
> >
> > "Start using an iTunes clone."

It's not so much that they are clones that make them good or bad, but
(speaking personally) after switching to rhythmbox from xmms was great.
I loved the catagorization. I rip cds I listen to often, and it's much
quicker than loading playlists for each cd.

> I would switch if I could ever figure out how to get the extra
> keybindings working on my iTouch keyboard. I have never had any luck
> getting that to work.

In gnome you can use acme to bind alot of keys. Personally, I had just
bound them in metacity's configuration (in gconf-editor. Unfortunately,
you can't bind that stuff through the graphical keybinding config)

From rhythmbox --help:
  --print-playing                        Print the playing song and exit
  --print-playing-path                   Print the playing song URI and
exit
  --print-song-length                    Print the playing song length
in
                                         seconds and exit
  --print-play-time                      Print the current elapsed time
of
                                         playing song and exit
  --set-play-time=LONG                   Seek to the specified time in
playing
                                         song if possible and exit
  --play-pause                           Toggle play/pause mode
  --focus                                Focus the running player
  --previous                             Jump to previous song
  --next                                 Jump to next song
  -d, --debug                            Enable debugging code
  -n, --no-registration                  Do not register the shell
  --dry-run                              Don't save any data permanently
                                         (implies --no-registration)
  -q, --quit                             Quit Rhythmbox

Just a quick test, and "rhythmbox --next" from a terminal works as
expected.

As for Juk on kde, I dunno. Never used.

--
Chris I
[EMAIL PROTECTED] :: www.cidesign.ca/~chris/

It is impossible to experience one's death objectively and still carry a
tune.
-- Woody Allen