On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 05:03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> hmm. i see...
>
> then...
> If I have a internet connection and proper working DNS record on my server
> and install DHCP & squid, can I use this as a internet sharing server?

Let's draw a list here for what you should read up on:

The basics:
- Firewall / NAT / Routing (iptables + routing)
- Dynamic IP allocation for LAN hosts (DHCP)

Medium Advanced stuff:
- Name resolution of internal hosts (DNS)
- HTTP proxy (squid)
- Transparent HTTP proxy (squid + iptables)

Very Advanced stuff:
- Dynamic name update of DHCP assigned hosts:
http://ops.ietf.org/dns/dynupd/secure-ddns-howto.html (I haven't tested
this one yet, it may or may not work..)

Network usage and compliance monitoring:
- Argus
- Ntop
- Snort or Prelude-NIDS
- MRTG
- Own scripts + RRDTool

This is not a complete list, but should get you started in the right
direction. Remember, google is your friend (as well as
http://www.tldp.org).

Also, do not expect the stuff to "just work" after emerge'ing it. You
will need a certain amount (actually, quite a bit in some places) of
configuration / customisation before it works as what you would
expected.

Don't be discouraged, take it as a great opportunity to learn something
new ;)

--
Michael Boman
Developer, Hardened Gentoo Linux