Man, I can't believe I didn't know about the "file" command... that's great... VERY useful. And speaking of binary editors, can you recommend one? Any good ones come with the basic gentoo stuff? For that matter, is there any way of searching for a type of program? Like a man page index?

Bill Kenworthy wrote:
type "file boot.ftp" to see what type of file it really is (try "man
file"), or open it in a binary editor and check the header.

BillK