On Sunday 04 January 2004 12:33 pm, S. Krishnan wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 08:48, Redeeman wrote:
> > hi, i am going to buy a new motherboard REALLY soon, i looked at
> > a few, 2 asus's, and 2 epox's, i am not a OC'er. i want a STABLE
> > system, even if it costs me performance
> >

> > i have heard alot bad of nforce2 on linux. i have nforce1 now,
> > and its fine,
> > i just want stability, which card to choose? the onboard sound
> > has to work with alsa.
> >
> > and i want the lan card(s) to work on linux too! please give
> > comments for and against!
>
> I'm running a nforce2 mobo (MSI K7N2, dual boot linux/ win xp), and
> it works just fine.  There was a bit of a problem during the
> install with the onboard network card, whose drivers were not
> available.  I just downloaded the drivers separately from Nvidia's
> website, and installed them.  Of course, this was a red hat box (my
> Gentoo box has an Intel network card), so I could set the network
> up after completing the install off CD.  You may have to do it
> differently for Gentoo.
>
> I've had this board for around 6 months now, and it rocks.
>
> HTH,
>
> Krishnan

        The nforce 2 based boards are mostly great. If you go that route,
check to see that you are getting a very recent board as some of the
first had capacitor problems causing board failure. MCI and Leadtek
are 2 that had the problem. There may be more. I bought 5 Leadtek
K7NCR18D-pro boards in March and 3 have failed. I am expecting
replacement boards any day now. Symptoms of this problem include
failure to boot and random unexplainable crashes.
        Assuming these problems have been taken care of, the boards are
solid, stable, fast and work GREAT with Nvidia graphics cards.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free