Ernie Schroder wrote:

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 04:49 pm, Soos Istvan wrote:

Is it possible to install gentoo without net? (The ethernet card
isn't fully supported by linux, but I can download some things in
windows, s it's not totally separated from the network). If it is
possible, how?

I've 15-20 GB storage space, if needed...

Is it an nforce 2 based motherboard? If so, try booting the CD with
the gentoo --nonet option the nforce net drivers ARE on the cd but
you'll have to emerge them before rebooting. the nonet option may
work with some other NIC's that don't have GPL drivers YMMV.

The problem is more complex (realtek 8169), so the final conclusion is that the kernel does not fully support r8169+sis motherboard (notebook) yet. I cannot uplink any ethernet connection, the only (?) solution is (for now) is to try an offline install. If I can.

Istvan